[KS] {SPAM?}Re: question

eun at sfsu.edu eun at sfsu.edu
Fri Jan 20 01:18:20 EST 2006

General Park Chung-hee introduced Yushin or the “Revitalizing Reform” system,
which legitimized the authoritarian-led development.  People were fed up with
the Yushin system and student demonstrators in 1979 intensified in the latter
half of the year with labour and student demonstrations in the Pusan and Masan
areas which was later called the “Pu-Ma Uprising.”  The Yushin system led to
economic instability and unrest, which cumulated in Park’s assassination in
October 1979.  Park’s assassination led to calls by students and laborers for
the abolition of the Yushin system and direct elections.  Such hopes were
dashed when at the end of 1979 when General Chun Do-hwan and Roh Tae-Woo
seized power from the interim government through a coup d’etat.