[KS] question on Yushin

Sung Cho minandsung at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 20 14:49:47 EST 2006

Meiji Restoration of 19th century Japan is read Myungchi Yushin in Korean. Acknowledging that Park was the product of Japanese education system, in my opinion, it would not be hard to imagine that he would adopt the name for his second coup.

  Sung Cho

Ruediger Frank <rfrank at koreanstudies.de> wrote:
  Dear Mr. Levkowitz and all,

on a side note, I was always struck by the similarities
between the Saemaeul Undong (New Village Movement), evolving
around the same time as the Yushin Constitution, and Mao's
Cultural Revolution. If you read some of Park Chung-hee's
speeches from that time, he stops short of talking about
"the most beautiful characters" that could only be written
"on a blank sheet of paper", to paraphrase the Great
Helmsman who wanted to erase all traces of old thought to
make room for new thinking in the minds of his Chinese
subjects. Park, too, emphasizes the alleged "backwardness"
of Koreans and their attitudes and calls for a thorough
ideological modernization. Institutionalists such as
Clarence E. Ayres would say that he tried to fight
ceremonialism and supported technlogical dynamism. On a
smaller scale, this is a process that repeats itself quite
frequently in Korean politics until present time. The
renaming of political parties, for example, is one
expression of this continuous desire to "renew" or
"revitalize". The official slogan "Dynamic Korea" fits
perfectly into this way of looking at the issue.

Best,

Ruediger Frank