[KS] A US-Korean blueblood's flight of fancy

Lee JooBai jblee6952 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 6 18:02:12 EDT 2006

Hi,

I am inclined to think that Mr. Pore might be correct in his
speculations about what terms Professor Wagner might have
used.  I too found myself wondering what Professor Wagner's
personal views might have been about genealogies in general
and about Korean's relationship to their ancestors in particular,
and what role the genealogies played in his historical studies.

All I can add in this regard is an article I happend upon while
researching on Osan Academy.

http://blog.naver.com/stupa84?Redirect=Log&logNo=100021824200

The founder of the Academy is described by one historian as
"The First Modern Korean."  The reason for this honor was for
his self identification as a "commoner" and not with an eminent
ancestry, as the article explains.  There was also a religious dimension
to the new lineage he was to be identified with.

As the interview explains, the founder was also a close relative of
Prof. Yi Ki-Baek, who was himself a historian closely associated with
Prof. Wagner, and so I wonder if the list members more familiar with
Prof. Wagner could comment on this.

As to the abomination that the term "Blueblood" has become, I wonder
if the authors of literary works should not be afforded such liberties as to
what word he or she uses.

Yesterday, I had a belated look at the Korea Session of the 2006 AAS meeting
in
San Francisco and I was struck by how Ms. Hong's article embodies and
explores the quintessential Korean experiences using the modern idiom:
voila! no transliterations, which I thought quite innovative.

http://www.aasianst.org/absts/2006abst/Korea/k-toc.htm

JooBai

June 6, 2006

http://www.KoreanYes.com

P.S.
Reading over the Osan founder's short biography, I could not help
wondering if he was not the inspiration for "Sang Do" and actually
much of the works coming out from Harvard historians seemed to have
been turned into popular historical dramas in Korea.  Was there some
relationship between the dramatists/producers  in Korea and Harvard
historians? I believe such a relationship would not be without precedent.)