[KS] trips to DPRK this summer and fall

Chris Springer springer at hiddenhistory.info
Mon Jun 19 23:07:51 EDT 2006

North Korea has previously allowed American tourists to attend
mass games in 1995, 2002, and 2005. From August to October 2006,
the country will once again open to Americans (not just Korean
Americans) for the Arirang Festival.

Korean Americans have often found it relatively difficult to
secure visas. The DPRK sought to keep out visitors from abroad
who could blend in with the population and who might try to contact
family members living in North Korea. Blanket restrictions on
visits by Korean Americans have eased for the 2006 festival.

Several tour operators are offering tours to North Korea to coincide
with the festival. I am involved with tour preparations for High
Country Passage (www.hcptravel.com). HCP plans four departures
with an educational focus; each tour will be led by a different
academic expert. Visiting North Korea is a puzzling experience,
as you can imagine. So these study tours seek to provide much-needed
context.

Other tour operators offering trips to North Korea include
Asia Pacific Travel (www.northkorea1on1.com), Koryo Tours (www.koryogroup.com)
and Geographic Expeditions (www.geoex.com).

Feel free to contact me offline for any specific questions.

Chris Springer
springer at hiddenhistory.info