[KS] trips to DPRK by Korean-Americans

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 12:29:06 EDT 2006

Thanks to Ken for reminding us of this.

Another category of Korean-Americans who could
visit the DPRK, and presumably still can, are those
deemed sufficiently sympathetic to Pyongyang. Or,
at least, who are prepared to go on tours organized
by those of such persuasion - of whom there have
always been some, even in the US of A; see eg
www.minjok.com

When I attended Sunday service at Pongsu church
in Pyongyang, way back in 1990, there was quite a
large group of Korean-Americans in the congregation.
I think they were of this category, rather than visiting
relatives, They were mainly elderly, from the Los Angeles area.

Ken mentions Toronto. Back in the bad old days, this city
had the reputation of being a hotbed of Korean radicalism:
strongly anti-Park and Chun, with quite a big pro-NK fringe.
Does anyone know why this should have been so?

A further consideration is that North Korea may operate
different bureaucratic procedures for ethnic Koreans,
distinguishing them from other foreigners; just as China
has separate channels for overseas Chinese. Again, I
wonder if anyone can confirm that?

More generally: Anyone who has never visited North Korea
should surely grab the chance.

cheers
Aidan

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]