[KS] Claire Lilenthal Alternative School

aekyung84 at aol.com aekyung84 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 03:43:13 EST 2006

Hi Peter,

I know about the Claire Lilienthal elementary school Korean Immersion Program (k.i.p.) in San Francisco. The Two-way Language Immersion Program that started more than 20 years ago in Canada was a model for k.i.p. Program in San Francisco that begun in 1994 through San Francisco Unified School District. It was sort of a replacement of bilingual Program that was taught two languages in 50/50 way. Two-way Immersion Program teaching method is more like starting with 10/90 Korean/English working toward 90/10. Presently 45 students are in Grades K ? 2 classes at Madison Campus and 90 students are in Grades 3 ? 8 classes at Winfield Scott Campus.

http://www.sfusd.k12.ca.us/schwww/sch479/htm/kabout.htm is the web site you can have an access to k.i.p. This web site has information on k.i.p. Korean/English two-way Immersion Program and its history and goals. The k.i.p. Parent Volunteer Committee is very strong on working with supportive organization such as KAWAWA Youth Program (http://www.kawawa.org) that provides Studying Korean Language, Art and Culture In the Community through after-school and summer school program.

Best,

Min Paek