[KS] Fuji Kawashima

David McCann dmccann at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 7 09:34:09 EST 2006

Let there be many recollections and appreciations of Fuji.  It will be a
comfort to read what others may write on his work in the field of
history, but I also hope there will be some who know more than I about
his watercolors and sketches.  I remember at a meeting a few years back,
he showed me a sketchbook, and there was in his manner a bit of wonder
at his remarkable talent.  The work was full of life.  I had the sense
that he had discovered that path rather late, and perhaps was surprised
by it.  Didn't he make sketches where he had travelled and stayed, and
give them to his hosts?  Gifted, and giving so joyfully.

David McCann