[KS] The late Shin Sang-ok, and other mysteries

caprio caprio at rikkyo.ne.jp
Wed May 3 18:19:56 EDT 2006

I have also wondered quietly about some of the questions
raised by Aidan. Seems there
is always one person who survives to confess his/her connections
with the North. No, I am not the sleuth capable of closing any of the
cases mentioned, but I can volunteer the following.

I believe that I read somewhere that one ofthe airline
disasters (maybe 858) blamed on North Korea is being reinvestigated
as part of President Roh's history clarification project.

A second case, involving a Japan-based Korean who (I believe)
atempted to assassinate Park Chung-hee during a political speech
(and killed his wife instead?), was always assumed to
have been North orchestrated as the assassin was a member of the
Chosen soren. The Japanese have long argued that its investigation found
no connection with the North. A while back it was reported that this case
too was being reinvestigated as part of Roh's project.

Mark Caprio