[KS] KAL-858 bombing

Pete Morriss pete.morriss at nuigalway.ie
Mon May 8 12:40:19 EDT 2006

Dear Aidan (and others),
	There is another brief mention of the KAL bombing in
Harrold's book on p. 93, and a somewhat longer discussion on pp.
110-12.  However, he just reports North Korea's official denials,
with a somewhat sceptical gloss.  The only item he reports that
resembles hard evidence is an article by Kim Jong Ryol, reprinted in
The Pyongyang Times on 28 May 1988, which apparently admitted South
Korean responsibility.  Harrold is doubtful about the authenticity
and accuracy of the article, but he didn't seem to do anything to
track down the original.  Has anyone else?
	Probably more useful, in this genre, is A Year in Pyongyang
by Andrew Holloway, which can be found on Aidan's web-site.  In
chapter 9, he has a longer discussion of the incident than Harrold
seems to do, saying, amongst other things that "The timing for such
an outrage could hardly seem less in keeping with North Korean
interests".  But he was also very critical of the evidentiary
weakness of the North Korean response.
	Hope somebody more informed than me can shed more light on this ...
	All the best,
		Pete Morriss