[KS] Yu Kilchun

Frank Hoffmann frank at koreaweb.ws
Mon May 8 20:36:02 EDT 2006

Thanks Vladimir:

*Most certainly* isn't Social Darwinism the highlight of Korea's
modern intellectual history. I very much hope I did not write
anything giving such impression. It played, however, a very important
role before and after 1900 -- and that is the period I was trying to
talk about.

By the way, when looking into the history of translations during the
early colonial period (mostly 1910s and early 20s) I was astonished
by the unexpected number of works translated from French and Russian
-- not just via Japanese but also from directly from these languages.
One really should not underestimate what was available to Korean
intellectuals at that time.

Quote:
>So, the question has to be formulated in a bit other way, I guess -
>while the quest for secrets of "wealth and power" led Katoo
>Hiroyuki, Tokutomi Soohoo, Liang Qichao, and their Korean followers
>- that is, a large, almost dominant group of East Asia's early
>modern intellectuals - to embrace the belief that the life is a zero
>sum game, and to eat up the others in order not to be eaten up
>yourself is a right thing to do?

Okay, but this is a bit over my head. The right thing to do? Isn't
this a moral question, maybe a religious question, and maybe a
question about political effectivity if extended somewhat. Right or
wrong? How would this get us any further when looking at how
societies advanced? The question I was trying to address earlier is
how Social Darwinism in Korea is being depicted today? And why it is
depicted the way it is.

When referring to the inevitability in which histories have recorded
Korea's embracing of such ideology, what I really had in mind is the
question of power, legitimacy, and historical truth. One of the first
things we learn in East Asian History 101 is that one of the first
tasks of each new dynasty was the rewrite of dynastic history,
creating a legacy. Isn't that what happened (the U.S. and Japan being
the winners)?

Aidan wonders "how Weberians can be Darwinists" -- well, is America
not fundamentally Darwinist? Whatever else you add to this, it is not
going to go away. In that sense I am not speaking of Social Darwinism
as something that can be separated into some school of thought but as
an inherit part of the country's ideological foundation and lifestyle.

In the U.S. the popular interpretation and utilization of Weber's
capitalism theory had been dominated by Talcott Parsons who was also
the translater of The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism
(1904-05, 2nd rev. ed. 1920, first English edition 1930). His reading
of Weber is very well Social Darwinist in its roots. By directing all
your attention on certain aspects of a work with the depth of that of
Weber's it is easy enough to serve existing ideologies rather than
challenging them. Then again, both Weber and Parsons are so complex
that I do not see how to discuss this topic on a message board
without simplifying to a degree where nothing is accurate anymore....
Weber works with what sociologists call ITM (Ideal Type Model).
Weber's 'community' is such ITM, and in his terms it equals
Protestant ethic. His conceptualization is not about "real type"
history but about "ideal type" community in a sociological sense.
Other than Marx, for example, he does not understand capitalism as a
system per se but focuses on the Geist, the spirit of a community in
a certain historic time and a certain historic setting that drives
capitalism. That's the theory he develops in The Protestant Ethic and
the Spirit of Capitalism, where he explains how northwestern Europe
enabled itself to go ahead with its modern economic revolution,
leaving behind the formerly rich Catholic South that had dominated
Europe culturally and economically for so many centuries. It is
noteworthy here that this is indeed the book that made Weber famous
in the United States while his main work, Wirtschaft und
Gesellschaft, and other important works never really got that much
attention -- quite the opposite to the perception in continental
Europe. As a personal note, to illustrate this a little: the first
time I heard about Weber's capitalism theory was in Carter Eckert's
class at Harvard. It was a real eye-opener (thanks!). We did read
quite a bit of Weber in the three years of Sociology at my
neo-Marxist dominated high school, nicely packaged into bite-sized
digestable 5 or 10 page portions ... Weber served a minority
non-Marxist teacher as a tool to oppose the hard core stuff brought
in by his colleagues, everything from Marx to Adorno and Habermas,
from Rudi Dutschke to texts about city guerilla tactics. But that was
a different Weber, a whole different context, a different reality. It
took me till last year to actually read The Protestant Ethic and the
Spirit of Capitalism rather than just summaries of it. In Germany
it's now being sold by 2001, that's a very successful discount
bookseller, a Barnes & Noble kind of chain store, mostly feeding the
needs of high school kids and university students. Weber for 5 bucks.
The book is getting popular here for the same reason Walter
Benjamin's works have seen a revival -- because American students
read them. In the 80s we would read Benjamin in art history and say
"so what? -- anything new under the sun?" Cult wasn't yet his middle
name at the time. While Benjamin is popular the postmodern packaging
in which he was redelivered back to Germany is not really that hot.
The icon travels, the wider intellectual context does not, not
necessarily. In the case of Weber the same is true. In British and
the U.S. academia we see that the somewhat technicist neo-Weberian
view of social class seems to predominate in the social sciences. In
Germany, I think, that aspect had always been replaced my Marxist
analysis, even within conservative circles.

Quote:
>Other thing is that (Neo)-Darwinist explanations of the workings of
>the world and society looked almost as holistic and all-encompassing
>as Neo-Confucian ones, but that is another story...

That "other story" is what I think is really interesting! "Holistic
and all-encompassing as Neo-Confucian" -- this seems a wonderful
observation and almost convincing.

Frank