[KS] A Question about the term hanbando

Ruediger Frank rfrank at koreanstudies.de
Tue May 9 02:45:54 EDT 2006

Christopher,

fascinating question, in particular concerning the "han" part. On "bando", here comes a
layman's contribution from outside East Asia: the German word for peninsula is
"Halbinsel", literally "half-island" - maybe that's why I for one never questioned the
usual translation of bando. In Russian it is "poluostrov" or so, also "half-island". No
strings attached here, it seems. I would not be surprised if the classical origin of the
English "peninsula" would have the same meaning (is it Greek or Latin?); I am sure that at
least the linguists on this list can answer that perfectly.

Best,

Ruediger