[KS] A Question about the term hanbando

Bill McCloy wbmccloy at u.washington.edu
Tue May 9 15:14:07 EDT 2006

The word “bandao” (Korean “pando”) is indeed used in Chinese, though I do not know its origin.  It never seemed odd to me as the English word “peninsula” is derived from Latin “paene” and “insula” meaning “almost an island”.  Whoever coined it either came up with a similar idea or knew the origin of the English (or other foreign) word.

Bill

William B. McCloy

Assistant Librarian for

  East Asian Law

University of Washington

Gallagher Law Library

Box 353025

Seattle, WA  98195-3025

U.S.A.

Tel. (206) 543-7447

Fax (206) 685-2165

wbmccloy at u.washington.edu

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Cicero.

  _____