[KS] A Question about pukkando

Mark Peterson markpeterson at byu.edu
Wed May 10 00:59:16 EDT 2006

Greetings islanders and half-islanders,

All this chatter about bando brings another question to my mind, and
that is the etymology of Pukkando -- the term for Manchuria.  It's is
"north" "space" "island" -- and how did that come about?  There is
nothing of an island in that northern space.

This is probably a simple question the answer to which many of you
know, and maybe I just ought to go look it up; but I think it might
contribute to this discussion on "half-islands".

best,
Mark