[KS] Hanbando, Pukkando, etc.

DR. WAYNE K PATTERSON wayne.patterson at snc.edu
Tue May 16 23:06:32 EDT 2006

Dear Christopher --

Yes, "Senjin" is an insulting Japanese term for Koreans, just as "Jap" is for
Japanese and "Chink" is for Chinese in American racist usage.  When I was
looking at documents at the Gaiko shiryoukan in Tokyo, "Senjin" was usually
preceded by the word "Futei."  Read: "Korean Malcontents" or, less charitably,
"Rebellious Gooks."

Wayne Patterson'

Fulbright Distinguished Lecturer
Yonsei University