[KS] A US-Korean blueblood's wry lament

will pore willpore at gmail.com
Tue May 30 21:33:29 EDT 2006

Dear Jiyul,

The Kyongju Kims, the Yohung Mins, the Chonju Yis, the Pungsan Chos,
the Miryang Paks, probably even the Hongs to which the writer of the
piece belonged and many other Korean families have long, distinguished
and immensely interesting lineages. Those now very extensive families
should be rightly proud to know of their connection to those lineages.
I myself am extremely interested in the work that Edward Wagner did on
Korean lineages. And, I think it is because of the work of scholars
like him that it is possible to cringe at Ms. Hong's description of
her family and her use of "bluebloods," a term I do not think
Professor Wagner ever used in discussing the linages he studied.
Gentry? Very likely. Patricians? Close.
Of course, there are ascriptive bluebloods in America (First Families
of Virginia, for example), but, I'm pretty sure they never seriously
use that term in a serious discussion of their families' backgrounds.

Best,
Will Pore