[KS] The house in Noryangjin: Thank you!

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 2 13:23:30 EDT 2006

Dear Ken:

I cannot thank you enough for all your completely unsolicited hard work!  I
had only a vain hope that someone might actually undertake this search--a
potentially fruitless hunt for an old house with no promise of recompense,
save for the reward of solving a minor historical mystery.  ...Except that
in place of the original mystery, we now have a whole saga pertaining to the
property.  Perhaps we should start a new PBS show, "History Detectives:
Korean Edition"!

I'm passing your email on to the lady in question, and we can work out
contact details off-list.  She's since mentioned that she's planning to
travel to Korea...sadly, it sounds like even the few last remnants of the
house--the garden, the vine-covered wall--might be gone by the time she gets
there.

For the KS List members in general:

There is another historical tidbit for all and sundry.  Mr. Nomura was
indeed well liked by his students, so much so that the _Sungnyo^hoe_
(Sookmyung Girls' School's alumnae association) pooled money to invite him
back to visit Korea in 1967 or '69.  His great granddaughter remembers '67,
but the visit is mentioned briefly in a _Sunday Seoul_ article from 10
August 1969 (reproduced at
http://blog.naver.com/kybkang9?Redirect=Log&logNo=100023303082).  The
article discusses the activities of girls' school alumnae associations in
general.  Here is my probably inadequate translation of the Sookmyung
passage--where the retired principal is mentioned by his Koreanized name,
"Yach'on So^ngjijo":

"Also, if you ask if this spring, did the 'Old Timers' of the Sookmyung
Girls' School almumnae association 'Sungnyeonhoe' pool their money to invite
the pre-Liberation, pro-Korean Japanese principal Seinosuke Nomura, then
there is the rumour that the Baehwa Girls' School is saving up 4 million won
to help their alma mater."

(Is it notable that he is explicitly described as a "ch'in-Han'guk
Irin"--"pro-Korean Japanese person"?)

During this visit, Mr. Nomura even met the then prime minister of Korea, who
at that time should have been Cho^ng Ilkwo^n (Jeong Il-gwon; PM 1964-70).
For the record, Mr. Nomura's wife's name was Shinohara Kusa (maiden name),
but as for her husband, my own search for information on her has proved
fruitless.

I'm very glad--and no doubt my correspondent will be as well--that thanks to
Ken Kaliher's hard work, we've been able to find the house.  The breadth and
depth of interests and experiences among the KS List's participants is truly
staggering, and I'm glad to be a small part of this wonderful group of
people.

Thanks,
Stefan Ewing

***