[KS] How unequal is South Korea, really?

Ruediger Frank rfrank at koreanstudies.de
Fri Sep 1 03:39:20 EDT 2006

Dear Frank,

well said, and inspiring. I agree, there is no need for mianhae.

But I think I have to defend my other field a bit. As you said correctly,
economics nowadays is much more than just supply, demand and markets. The discipline has
incorporated a wide range of approaches and even transformed culture from a black-box
variable into something that is accepted as determining human actions just as all the
other forces we know of (see institutional economics; I find this quite exciting).
Actually, given the openness of that discipline, I can't see how anything has a chance to
"get far beyond economics". In my humble opinion, economics is one way to interpret human
behavior, and that's all encompassing.  I know there are some folks who give the
profession a bad name, but that's no reason to blame the whole field.

It is absolutely correct to emphasize that numbers are only as good as their
interpretation. The Gini coefficient or the Lorentz-curve do not tell the whole truth, so
they should be applied critically. The point is that they should nevertheless be applied;
there is no reason to discard them altogether. These indicators, like GNP, GDP per capita,
literacy rate, population density, Dax, Nikkei etc. etc. provide not more and not less
than an important part of the picture. I can't see why they should be less objective than
arbitrarily selected numbers or, even worse, personal statements which are biased by
definition.

I think what you said about perceptions is the most important point to make on the
inequality issue. Poverty is an absolute term if you starve or your life is otherwise
threatened by a lack of resources, but beyond that, poverty becomes relative. It's our
neighbors' wealth, not our own, that determines whether we feel rich or poor. It is the
value system that surrounds us what determines whether we feel treated well or badly by
life. This value system is what most Koreanists do their research about - so here's our
contribution (and from my limited understanding, downscaling one's expectations as a road
to happiness is the essence of a good deal of ancient learning in East Asia, isn't it?).
It is not my area of specialization, but I think the question of who belongs to the middle
class, and how this membership is defined, has long been a subject of heated debate in
South Korea, at least since the 1997/98 financial crisis. So this is actually an old hat.

The media and public opinion in general seem to have a huge influence on the "wind-chill"
inequality, in particular since bad news sell much better than good news. That can well
develop into mass hysteria. Economists in Germany have argued that the negative public
sentiment regarding the economic situation under Schroeder has worked as a self-fulfilling
prophecy that resulted in a real reduction of consumption and hence less growth.

This is not to say that there are no abnormally rich people in Korea (like anywhere
else). So what? Now it is my part to say sorry: If I feel bad because my neighbor is
better off, then most likely I am the problem, and nobody else. And let's not forget that
real estate prices in Seoul are high not because a few people own the property, but
because so many want it. This is their good right - but, let's face it, skyrocketing
prices are simply part of that deal.

I have often heard the argument that the inequality
in the United States is a major engine of growth and innovation in that country. A rich
guy is not only a reason to go green with envy; he (or she) also shows you what can be
achieved with hard work or pure luck or both. Economists call that an incentive. Having
experienced the sedative effects of an (allegedly) egalitarian society, I suggest to be
careful with normative demands for more equality.

Perfect equality is a myth, given the naturally different resource endowment of
individuals. What I consider to be crucial for the question whether a society is just or
unfair are the CHANCES for social mobility. In other words: is it possible to live the
American Dream in Korea?

By the way, there will be a panel or some other form of discussion on the future of Korean
Studies at the next AKSE in April 2007, including some provocative thoughts on the
cohabitation of Korean Studies and social sciences. We had a meeting on this topic in
Oxford in June, the resulting papers are posted on our shiny new AKSE website at
http://www.akse.uni-kiel.de . Feedback is highly welcome, as is broad participation in the
related discussion at the next AKSE.

All the best,

Ruediger