[KS] The Left in Korea, plus glitches

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 07:02:13 EDT 2006

Many thanks to all who kindly responded to my query.
Frank, you should write the book!

Or Park Mi should. All roads seem to lead to her.
Many thanks to Kevin for this info. It's galling to learn
she was in London all this time, and I had no idea.

(How many other Koreans labour on doctorates about Korea
in non-Korea departments in US, UK or wherever, unbeknown to
and so not in contact with the wider Korean studies community?
AAS, AKSE, BAKS etc might care to ponder this.)

Does anyone know where Dr Park is now? Her thesis surely
merits publication: are there any plans for that?

The Kenyan source I cited earlier quotes extensively from a
conference paper by her, but the URL link was faulty.
The correct link is given in another very useful paper I just found:

Visions of Democracy: The Communication and Transformation of Revolutionary
Ideologies in South Korea
Rob Prey       Simon Fraser University, Canada
http://lass.calumet.purdue.edu/cca/gmj/sp04/graduatesp04/gmj-sp04gradref-prey.
htm

Park, Mi. (2002) Ideology and Lived Experience: Revolutionary Movements in
South Korea [Online].
 (Article based on Doctoral dissertation, London School of Economics)
Available:
http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/research/smg/pdf
 Conference/Mi Park - and Lived Experience.com (accessed on 12 April 2003)

Could I also note a few glitches in transmission:

A. Fellow AOL-ers, be warned: Not all messages from the list may reach you,
thanks to AOL's wonky spam filters. I received neither Frank's nor Kevin's,
nor the first 4 of the fan death thread. This tiresome problem comes and
goes.
Best to check the archive.

B. For this reason I have a backup Yahoo eddress too. I subscribed to the
list
on this also on Sep 14, in Digest mode; got a reply, and confirmed.
However nothing more has yet reached me via Yahoo, while AOL is now
deigning to work.  Perhaps I failed to confirm properly.

C. Separately, the KS archive continues to scrub some messages - including
Kevin's.
See below. It can be retrieved by delicately stitching the KS stem to the URL
ending given,
but this is tiresome and risks error.

Can anything be done about this? Though rare, it obviously impairs the
Archive's utility.

Is it a compatibility problem with Hotmail? Someone else who complained
about this before, suspecting censorship, also had a Hotmail eddress.
It must be some kind of automatic glitch. Any suggestions?

Best wishes
Aidan

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]

____________

KS] Is there one full good source in English on Korean Left(s), past and
present?

kevin gray leifeng75 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 14 04:43:20 EDT 2006
Left(s), past and present?
attachment was scrubbed...URL:
/pipermail/koreanstudies_koreaweb.ws/attachments/20060914/1395df43/attachment.html
Left(s), past and present?
information about the Koreanstudies mailing list

____________________

thesis titled, "Reflexivity, historicity and the framing of the lived
experience in social movements in South Korea, 1980-1995" (University of London),
which you can get on microfilm through ILL. This is one of the few things I've
read in English that really goes into detail regarding the factional history of
National-Liberation vs. Marxist/Leninist revolutionary student organisations,
its historiography, and all the major debates, Eg. the formation of Korean
society (sahoegusong nonjaeng), Jucheism vs. Leninism, etc.</P>
<P>Best Wishes,<BR>Kevin Gray. <BR></P>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5
2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY:
tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
From: <I>Afostercarter at aol.com</I><BR>Reply-To: <I>Korean Studies Discussion
List <koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws></I><BR>To: <I>koreanstudies at koreaweb.ws<
/I><BR>Subject: <I>[KS] Is there one full good source in English on Korean
Left(s),past and present?</I><BR>Date: <I>Wed, 13 Sep 2006 05:34:36 EDT</I><BR><
BR><FONT face=arial,helvetica><FONT lang=0 style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff"
face="Times New Roman" size=3>Many thanks to Frank for this fascinating glimpse<
BR>of a world of which I for one am far too ignorant.<BR><BR>Besides tracking
down primary sources, for the wider public<BR>- and those of us who to our
shame are linguistically challenged<BR>- does there exist in English an uptodate
book, or books, which<BR>gives a comprehensive and trustworthy overview of
the many<BR>currents of Korean resistance and oppositional movements?<BR><BR>--
Especially to Japanese occupation. But at
least in the ROK, one<BR>could and probably should extend it at least to 1953
- and maybe<BR>right through to the present day?<