[KS] The Left in Korea, plus glitches

Owen Miller owen at saudade.plus.com
Mon Sep 18 18:03:54 EDT 2006

I believe that Mi Park is now in Vancouver at UBC.

Another recent PhD thesis that may be of interest is this one:

Chun, Bong Hyun (Simone) _Globalisation and the New Left Party in the
Periphery: The Korean Democratic Labour Party (KDLP), 2000-2004_ (UC
Santa Barbara, 2005)

If anyone is interested in the present-day successors to Korea's earlier
anarchists, you might want to look at current Korean autonomist groups
(I know they are not anarchists, but they have some features in common
at least). You can find the website of the interesting Korean autonomist
journal "Chayul p'yOngnon" here: http://www.jayul.net

By coincidence, here is something I came across the other day in a
Google search when I was looking for something else: a brief English
history of Korean anarchism from within the libertarian/anarchist movement:
http://www.libcom.org.uk/history/articles/anarchism-in-korea/index.php

Finally, as for Aidan's observation about PhD candidates in non-Korean
studies departments, I believe there are quite a few in the UK,
particularly as this country attracts more students from the peninsula
or diaspora. In fact I returned from the Korean Studies Graduate
Students' Convention in Prague a couple of days ago where I met
colleagues currently working at Southampton and Durham (not in the East
Asia dept). I also know from helping Frank Shulman with his bibliography
of PhD dissertations that theses from SOAS only form a minority of
Korea-related theses from the colleges of the University of London over
the last few decades.

Best,
Owen Miller
(SOAS)