[KS] Air conditioning and facial paralysis

Young Kyun Oh youngoh at asu.edu
Tue Sep 19 20:15:54 EDT 2006

One thing I remember about this interesting topic:

I have different associations regarding fan death and facial paralysis.
'Fan death' was, as everyone knows, frequently reported in newspapers in
summer, under such headlines as "Family meets tragedy while sleeping with
the fan on in a small room." I think the reports usually attributed it to
suffocation/asphyxiation caused by sleeping while facing the wind from the
fan (especially in the cases of little children or babies). I don't think
it was also related with sleeping with an air conditioner on, but, then
again, houses equipped with air conditioners were not so common as these
days.
Facial paralysis was associated with sleeping with one's head on a tadu^mi-
tol 'fulling block' (a slab of stone used to smooth cloth or sheets by
pounding with two sticks).  Since it is made of a solid piece of stone
(granite?), it is a coolest spot where one can lay their heads in summer.
I grew up hearing that sleeping with your head on a tadu^mi-tol would make
your mouth turn.  This might sound like one of those "I know a person whom
it actually happened to" story, but one of my friends in college  came to
school with a partial paralysis on his face one day (1985?). When we asked
him what happened, he answered with an embarrassed smile (well, half a
smile, more likely) that he had slept with his head on a tadu^mi-tol.  It
took him a few weeks to get his face, speech and smile back to normal.

Young Kyun Oh
Arizona State University