[KS] Sunwook Kim: A star is born

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 07:09:09 EDT 2006

Dear friends,

It was a notable night for Korea at the finals of the
Leeds International Pianoforte Competition 2006.

Held triennially, this is one of the world's leading prizes.
Past winners include Radu Lupu, Murray Perahia,
Dmitri Alexeev, and Artur Pizarro.

To those illustrious names, add Sunwook Kim:
at 18 the youngest ever winner. You can hear his
winning rendition of Brahms' first piano concerto
in D minor online for the next six days at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio3_aod.shtml?radio3/performanceon3_fri

Nor is this all. Another Korean, Sung-Hoon Kim,
placed fifth with Mozart's C minor concerto (K491).

Past Leeds finalists include Myung-whun Chung:
joint fourth in 1975, when Mitsuko Uchida came second
and Andras Schiff third. In 1984 Ju Hee Suh came second,
while Haesun Paik placed fifth in 1990.

To my shame, neither of these Kims was known to me.
I look forward to hearing a great deal more of them.

Bravi!
Aidan

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University

Home address: 17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel: +44(0)  1274  588586         (alt) +44(0) 1264 737634          mobile:
+44(0)  7970  741307
fax: +44(0)  1274  773663         ISDN:   +44(0)   1274 589280
Email: afostercarter at aol.com     (alt) afostercarter at yahoo.com      website:
www.aidanfc.net
[Please use @aol; but if any problems, please try @yahoo too - and let me
know, so I can chide AOL]

__________________________

http://www.leedspiano.com/

The winner, Sunwook Kim

Results

http://www.leedspiano.com/res.html

Results of the 15th Leeds International Pianoforte Competition

1st prize, The Princess Mary Gold medal and £12,000:
Sunwook KIM, 18; from Seoul, Republic of Korea.

2nd prize: Silver medal and £10,000:
Andrew BROWNELL, 27, from Portland Oregon, USA
who also won the Benjamin Britten special prize.

3rd prize: Bronze medal and £6,000 (The Geoffrey de Keyser award):
Denis KOZHUKHIN, 20; from Nizhny Novgord, Russia.

4th prize: £3,500:
Siheng SONG, 24; From Shanghai, China.

5th prize: £3,000:
Sung-Hoon KIM, 28; from Seoul, Korea.

6th prize: £2,500:
Grace FONG, aged 27; from Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

Yurie Miura from Japan, a semi-finalist was awarded The David Rymer Trust
prize of £1000 for an outstanding performance in the early rounds.