[KS] Memories of Sookmyung--the house in Noryangjin

Iain Sands iainsands at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 16:16:19 EDT 2006

Hi, Stefan:

Interesting story! I was interested because I spent three years teaching at
Sookmyung Women's University from 1999-2001. Indeed, the university started
as a high school before becoming a two-year college, then a full-fledged
university, and it now enjoys a high reputation in Korea.

As far as the house goes - I hate to be pessimistic but I know Seoul quite
well and to be honest there is not much standing around that area from that
era. Noryangjin is now a built up working class area on the periphery of
central Seoul, and there is a high chance that any older buildings from that
era will have been bulldozed to make way for housing blocks sometime between
the 1960s and now! It's well known for its Hagwons (private academies) and
the famous fish market there. The best bet might be for someone in Seoul who
speaks Korean to go to the dong office with a photo and the address and make
some enquiries. Good luck!

Iain Sands
MA Program, School of Asian Studies
University of Auckland