[KS] Spaces of Korean phrases in Library catalog

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Apr 9 11:13:34 EDT 2007

Hello All:

Wish you all a Happy Easter!

I have an add-on question, not exactly the thread's topic, but I
don't feel like opening a new one because it relates.
What is the present consent, years after the SK government's new
transcription system was introduced, about the usage of the two
systems, McCune-Reischauer and the SK system? This is *not* to
refresh all the arguments about the pros and cons, those have been
discussed here in depth long ago. I just wonder how active scholars
working in any area of Korean studies are handling the situation in
both, their classrooms and their own publications. For example, I see
that good scholarly journals such as JAS still lists McC-R as the
system to use without actually following that policy (some book
reviews, for example, are using the SK system, and some articles use
both or no system at all in the same article). The revived Journal of
Korean Studies showed the same mixup -- but not sure about any later
issues published after 2005 (have not seen these yet).

So, what is acceptable? Do you use both systems, depending on the
place of publication or the trace of money? And what do you tell your
students to use?

NOTE: My Easter wish ... if you reply, please let's cut out any
comments on the systems themselves.

Best,
Frank