[KS] Portuguese during Hideyoshi invasion?

Ernie . recanto at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 10 17:23:25 EDT 2007

Hello all. Dear colleagues, I wonder if any of you could confirm me the
supposed participation of Portuguese mercenaries or soldiers fighting the
Japanese at the end of Hideyoshi invasion along with Chinese and Korean
troops. Apparently, the Annals of the Choson Kingdom include an entry about
King Sonjo’s visit to a Chinese barrack on May 26, 1597, where he was
informed of marine operations by warriors from the remote country called
Parang (¿Portugal?). It looks like two days later, the Chinese general paid
a return visit to the king with the “demon soldiers” (the Portuguese), who
showed off their swordmanship during the royal audience.

At least to me, that possibility doesn’t look very convincible for two
reasons: Firstly, because of the strong economic and religious interests
Portuguese had those days in Japan, which for sure would have been damaged
as soon as Hideyoshi would have heard on the Portuguese fighters. And
secondly, because as far as I know there is no record at all on that history
in Portuguese or Spanish sources, nor in any of the detailed letters Jesuits
used to send to their bosses in Rome from Macao or Japan.

Thanks!

E. de Laurentis