[KS] Romanization systems

t s tlstober at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 18:23:30 EDT 2007

Dear List members,
I find this most recent thread regarding Korean
romanized systems most intriguing.  Why is it that
many Koreans use no set system when romanizing their
language into English? The Korean government has
attempted to create its own system and has not
accepted the MR system nor the Yale System, but I
don¡¯t think this is because of the government having
issues with the MR/Yale systems per say but rather
that the system was created by an outside entity and
this is a Korean control issue.

If another country comes in and takes over the way
Korean is written it appears to have taken over
something intrinsically Korean and it is my thought
that this act is not accepted by the Korean Government
(hence the creation of the Korea Romanized system) or
the Korean people.  It does not appear to matter that
this is a language being romanized into an English
equivalent. I believe that to many Korean people the
English equivalent was originally Korean and must stay
that way.

One other topic of discussion, does this problem with
romanization occur with other languages as well? For
example when Korean words are transliteratated into
Russian, German, or Spanish for example?

Any thoughts?
Sincerely,

Tracy Stober
MA International Relations-Korea Studies
Assistant/Korean Consulate-Seattle