[KS] "Pagoda" and Asian chauvinism

Insu Fenkl fenkli at newpaltz.edu
Tue Feb 27 21:03:24 EST 2007

Dear Victor,
I don't think that pointing out Korean atrocities in VN negates Hwang's story,
which is a work of fiction and never claims to be representative of the
entirety of ROK experience or behavior in VN. Nor does the new panAsian
exclusion of the west suggest that Asians are in some way more problematic
with their social behavior than Americans & Europeans -- racism, political
isolationism, and the creation of an "us" against a "them" are all general to
human societies. (I find it refreshing, actually, that the Pacific Rim nations
can do this now -- it shows a shift of political/economic power away from the
old white nexus.)
That aside, I would recommend you have a look at the film "R Point" directed
by Kong Su-chang. It's marketed as a horror film, but I think that in it you
will find a very interesting popular culture take on some of the themes that
come up in "The Pagoda." Kong is clearly referring to Hwang's short story, and
he's unpacking some of the subtext you find in the story's imagery, making it
accessible to a general audience of less-literate moviegoers.
Hwang's story is more loaded than one might think from Ted's review, and it
should be read carefully, preferably in the Korean, to catch the connotations
in Hwang's use of language. When I was still a naive and bright-eyed grad
student on my Fulbright back in '84, "The Pagoda" was the first story I
proposed translating. Fortunately, one of the junior admins at the then Korean
Culture and Arts Foundation took me aside and told me that it was forbidden.
That mediated the shock when I stubbornly insisted to the Jr. Director and was
told, outright, that I would not be permitted to do it (or else).
The general reading of that story is different now, 20 years later. At the
time it was initially published, it was considered an expose of certain
unpleasant realities, and though it is one of Hwang's earlier stories (less
masterful in his use of language and imagery, which improved vastly after his
time in prison), it is well worth examining for how it plays, in complex ways,
with different levels of expression. Kong's film takes one of the themes and
amplifies/runs with it, but it's hardly as powerful.And neither claims to
authoritatively represent the full spectrum of Korea's involvement in VN.
-HIF