[KS] What's So Good about Korea, Maarten?

K-Flexx manyongdae at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 01:17:35 EST 2007

Dear Maarten,

I have read the review you refer to
here:\http://service.joins.com/asp/print_article_english.asp?aid=2864810&esectcode=e_life&title=Friends+of+Margaret+Cho+need+to+buy+her+this+book

But could not find any of the responses it has
generated. Could you point me to a link please?

I wondered whether you would make a response to this
critique from the Joongang Daily. I feel the review
made some critical points that you would be well
served by responding to (for instance your remarks on
Koreans not reading, or seeking life-long education).

Also, I have a lot of respect for authors who reveal
their own vested interests and positions; in fact, I
would go so far as to say it is a principle that I
think is divine. For instance, when you read "Fifteen
Years Among the Topknots" by Lilias Underwood, we know
that we are getting an account of Korea by an American
Protestant missionary, speaking from her viewpoint. On
the other hand there is a history of Christianity in
Korea written by a Spencer J. Palmer, a leader in the
LDS/Mormon church. Clearly his own personal theology
of church history will affect how he writes about
church history in Korea - and yet he did not make his
own personal allegiance known, which in my view works
against him.

All of this is to say that yes, of course all accounts
of the life, culture and history of a country are
subjective, and we all consciously or subconsciously
seek a unification between our own worldview and the
way we portray our subjects.

regards,

K Flexx.