[KS] Choson, The land of the morning calm... really?

Ernie . recanto at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 17:44:14 EDT 2007

Dear list members, I just hope this subject has not appear before, but would
you agree with the translation of Cho-son as “The land of the morning
calm?”, which have been fully accepted since Lowell wrote his famous book in
late 1880’s? I lack the knowledge on Chinese language to explain these two
characters which form the world Cho-son, but what about changing ‘CALM’ for
‘RADIANCE’ or ‘FRESHNESS’, or even ‘PURITY’ as I’ve some times read?

Thanks and regards.

Ernesto, from Madrid