[KS] Kanghwa Treaty diplomatic protocol

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Thu Nov 15 18:30:11 EST 2007

Well, not quite so fast -);  The chairs and much
more on the table you see in my photo of An's
1883 painting (which, by the way, is in the
collection of Sungjôn University) seems to be of
Chinese make, yes. That's a great point. China
was indeed the only Asian nation, I think, that
early on used chairs. But were Chinese
delegations to China seated on chairs -- I mean
before the 1870s or 80s? I don't know. It is also
very possible that in 1876 these same chairs seen
in An's 1883 painting were already on Kanghwa-do.
After all, not just did the General Sherman go up
the Taedong-gang in the north, the French have
had their warships and their sailors, priests,
and other expedition members on Kanghwa that same
year, for an extended period of time. And in June
1871 the American flagship USS Colorado landed on
Kanghwa Island; around 350 Koreans were killed
"in battle" (Americans lost only 3 men) and the
entire island was occupied. In 1876 the
Taewôn'gun was out of the picture and Korea tried
everything to please the threatening foreign
forces. Another point, however, is that the
island's harbor (well, the place where the USS
Colorado and later in 1876 the 16 Japanese war
ships landed), according to a photo I saw (and of
course, can't find it now), was full of barracks.
Is it so unreasonable that those barracks had
chairs (maybe taken from either the French ship
(therefore Chinese) or from the USS Colorado --
see photo below of sailors from the USS Colorado?
After all, there also were talks between American
and Korean officials ... Korean officials where
even on board the USS Colorado while the ship
fought against their troops. By the way, the
Chinese Ming and Qing chairs I have seen don't
quite look like those in the painting -- with
those narrow back rests.

--
Frank Hoffmann