[KS] More information on a timetable of publication, SIKS

오윤선 hafahdai at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:52:00 EDT 2007

Dear all,
Thank you so much for your sincere interest in our Korean studies grant program (Strategic Initiative for Korean Studies, SIKS). We hear that some scholars are discouraged by ‘ a tight schedule of publication’ of SIKS. We would like to give you more detailed information on a timetable of publication. We sincerely hope this additional information is of great help for you. Please read the information provided below.

We are waiting for many excellent applications.
If you have any question, please contact us.

Yoon Sun Oh
Research Fellow
SIKS, Academy of Korean Studies

    More information on a timetable of publication

Those who are awarded this grant are not expected to complete all 10 books in the first 3 years, and thus, publication of all 10 books in 5 years is not necessary…. This grant, Translation of Korean Classics Project and Modern Korea Project, requires the participants to publish a total of 10 books within 7 years from the start date (November 2007). with a few books written/translated by the end of the 3rd year and published by an Academic Press in North America or Western Europe by the end of the 5th year, and several more books written/translated by the end of the 4th year and published by the end of the 6th year.  Rest of the books should be written/translated by the 5th year and published within the 7th year.  But keep in mind that all 10 books can be published before the 7th year if they are ready before then—earlier the better.
A good proposal should contain firm timetable for the first three years. The best-case scenario is to have a timetable with staggered publication dates for several books being published in the first two years, and morel each subsequent year until all 10 books are out by the 7th year.  The series editor should determine how many books will start and how many books will be published per year, and submit the proposal accordingly.
Proposals containing a timetable of publication of as many books as possible in the first or second year will be given priority during the selection process.  Towards this end, it would be beneficial for a series editor to enlist prospective authors/translators who already have roughdrafts or work in progress as part of his/her team.  The total remuneration for this effort of publishing 10 books is 600,000,000 Korean Won, to be paid in increments.

Yoonsun Oh