[KS] FW: The Mulberry Palace

Stefan Ewing sa_ewing at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:05:26 EDT 2007

Dear Brother Anthony: According to the article "Mulberry Palace" on page 297 of Keith L. Pratt's and Richard Rutt's _Korea: A Historical and Cultural Dictionary_ (Routledge, 1999; available online via Google Books at http://books.google.com/books?id=vj8ShHzUxrYC&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=%22mulberry+palace%22&source=web&ots=4wIPMEhFgZ&sig=OY5APxr-i510EJLAM2iHNOGnyG8), the Mulberry Palace is a westerners' nickname for Gyeonghui-gung, the former (and partially restored) east-facing palace marked by Heunghwamun, at the bend of the road in Sinmun-no between Jongno Negeori and the site of the dismantled Seodaemun (the latter being marked by a plaque on a high point along the northwest side of the road west of the palace site).  The city wall--which currently starts just north of the Sajik Tunnel--appears to have formed the southwestern boundary of the palace. According to the aforementioned article, the nickname arose "after [an] A. Maertens planted mulberry trees in the compound as part of a sericulture venture that failed.  The trees were still there in 1895, but their subsequent fate is unrecorded."  The palace had been more or less completely dismantled by 1922, but restoration began in the 1986, in concert with the construction of the Seoul Museum of History (Seoul Yeoksa Bangmulgwan) on the site. For more background (in Korean), see the museum's page on the palace's history at http://www.museum.seoul.kr/kor/gyeung/1173417_698.jsp . Yours,Stefan Ewing --Forwarded Message Attachment--From: ansonjae at sogang.ac.krTo: koreanstudies at koreaweb.wsDate: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 06:56:24 +0900Subject: [KS] The Mulberry Palace

I have been asked to identify the particular poyal palace in Seoul that westerners used, in the late 19th century, to call the "Mulberry Palace" and I do not know. Google can only confirm that the term exists in 3-4 hits, including a photo, but I see no entry that includes the Korean name. Something makes me want to say it was Yeonhui Palace, but I am sure someone out there knows for sure. Help, please.Brother AnthonySogang University, Seoulhttp://hompi.sogang.ac.kr/anthony/