[KS] question on North Korean banking

Daniel Corey Kane dkane at hawaii.edu
Wed Sep 19 20:38:04 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone out there in the KS community might be able to crack this question or help me crack it. A patron here at UH library who doesn't know Korean is working on a multiple regression model where the 2004 call rate (aka overnight interest rate, aka the federal funds rate in the US) is one of the independent variables, and per capita GDP is the dependent variable (that's about where he lost me). He is finding these numbers for several countries, one being North Korea. Estimations of North Korean GDP are readily available but we are...I am..having trouble locating the call rate for North Korea. I wasn't at all sure such a thing existed for North Korea and either is he. The South Korean term for call rate is 콜이자 or 콜금리 though it is doubtful the North Koreans would call it that if the equivalent exists. Can anyone shed light on:
1. Whether a call rate is in existence for North Korea
2. What they call it
3. Where a call rate % for 2004 or thereabouts can or might be found

I have tried the Google search of course but also 북한경제연감 for 2004 and Bank of Korea publications.
Thanks in advance.

Daniel Kane
Korea Collection Librarian
University of Hawaii at Manoa Library