[KS] Facing South

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Mon Sep 24 23:17:35 EDT 2007

   The KPA Lt. Col. indeed had a historical background for his
comment. The ancient sensibility behind it was probably originally
Chinese, but over the early centuries C.E. it was internalized all
over East Asia. The ancient tradition was that the emperor or king
faced south, and his subordinates faced north. This basic rule
played out among all the lower levels of authority, so that,
especially in formal ceremonies, the superiors would face south,
the inferiors north. One will notice that capital cities throughout
East Asia have the main government building facing south. Kyongbok
Palace is a typical example. In this, the tradition also plays out
geomantically in houses and graves, which ideally will face the
warmer side, the south.
   This south-pointing orientation is so deeply entrenched in
classical texts and many common place names that "left" will mean
east, and "right" west. On the east-west axis the east was usually
treated as the superior side, probably because the sun rose in the
east. Thus, in traditional ceremonies with the king facing south,
the civil officials (who lorded it over the military) stood facing
north on the east side of the courtyard, while the military
officials stood on the western side.
   In 993, when Koryo was negotiating with the Khitan over a
sensitive frontier issue in the area around the mouth of the Amnok
(Yalu) River, the Khitan general sat on the north side of the room
and faced south. So Hui (Seo Heui), the Korean negotiator, refused
to negotiate in this posture since it implied that Koryo was the
inferior party. He persuaded the general to sit on the west side
while he sat on the inside. From that time on, he dominated the
negotiations (according to the reports of that time) and to this
day his exploits and patriotism are rehearsed year after year in
the public schools of Korea--both halves.
   The traditional north-south axis represents superior-inferior.
But in military negotiations, this easily translates into
victor-vanquished. I have seen instances of this in many different
traditional sources.

Gari Ledyard