[KS] Korean Art market during the colonial period

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Sep 25 13:12:33 EDT 2007

Just to add to what Keith Pratt just said:

From what I gather so far very few Koreans bought
contemporary art at the time, not for collection
purposes in any case (rather for decoration of
offices, business buildings, etc.). The reasons
are obvious. What I found so far, but with still
too little evidence, is that Korean painters
produced, other than for the annual Chosôn Art
Exhibition, works directly for Japanese living in
Korea -- including a quite sizable amount of
erotic art works (stylistic imitations of Qing
Chinese works), usually in the form of
traditional style albums. Besides, certainly
works for travellers from Japan, usually showing
Korean men and women in traditional dress, and
usually strongly influenced in style by Japanese
Nihonga. I don't know of any oil paintings being
bought or ordered by Japanese -- which again
makes a lot of sense. But I too can imagine that
works that already hung in the Chosôn Art
Exhibition, and had therefore gathered some
value, were then being bought by Japanese (and/or
Korean collectors) such as Kim Sông-su. It should
also be noted that many Japanese artists lived
and worked in Korea. The residency requirement to
participate in the Chosôn Art Exhibition was half
a year, and many less successful Japanese artists
tried to find there luck in Chósen, but without
much success. Yet, they competed with local
Korean artists in this very limited market, also
produced lots of what is nowadays being called
"local colors" painting in South Korea.

Frank