[KS] Film screening: "The Schoolgirl's Diary" (Han Nyeohaksaengeui Ilgi)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Wed Apr 2 09:22:05 EDT 2008

Thanks for the info.

I do have a legal question.

In an AFP article from last year it reads:

    "It is not pure propaganda," said James Velaise of
    Pretty Pictures, who snapped up distribution rights at
    the Pyongyang filmfest last September, a two-yearly
    event barred to US movie types but open to a handful
    of European and Communist nations."
    (AFP article, May 22, 2007)

Did North Korea sign the Universal Copyright Convention (Berne
Convention)? South Korea did in the 1980s. The United States did NOT
sign it -- only has some domestic copyright laws, and is also not a
member of UNESCO anymore (and the Berne Convention is administered by
UNESCO).
(a) Is it therefore legal to redistribute (e.g. on the Internet)
North Korean movies and other materials -- according to U.S. laws?
(b) In case North Korea did not sign the Berne Convention, of which I
am not sure, is it legal in e.g. Europe to redistribute North Korean
materials? Is that contract that Paris based Pretty Pictures did with
the DPRK even necessary, in a legal (not moral) sense?

I was always wondering about these issues -- also in sight of
possible book publications with attached/included DVDs with NK
materials.

Link to the "Schoolgirl's Diary" trailer (preview):
http://ma-tvideo.france2.fr/video/iLyROoaft_XI.html

French Distributor "Pretty Pictures" link:
http://prettypictures.fr/n_catalogue.php?id=69

Best regards,
Frank