[KS] WG: H-ASIA: Mimana/Imna Monument query

Vladimir Tikhonov vladimir.tikhonov at ikos.uio.no
Mon Apr 7 08:33:38 EDT 2008

No, it is not that the Japanese "planted" the archaeological evidences -
they were just being accused of erecting the monument in order to
justify their aggression by the "experiences" of Mimana Nihonfu. 12
years ago I have defended my dissertation exactly about Kaya
(proto)-states and their international connections including the ties
with the proto-Japanese polities in Kinai and in Northern Kyushu, and
the conclusion was that, although no "Nihonfu" could plausibly exist in
early 6th C. (after all, "Nihon" makes its appearance in 670 only, so
the term is an obvious "modernization" by Nihon shoki compilers), the
trade and military relations between Kayas and the proto-Japanese were
indeed more than lively. But by mid-6th C. they seem to have been more
concentrated on Ara-Kaya (Haman) than Taegaya (KoryOng).

Vladimir Tikhonov/Pak Noja

--
Vladimir Tikhonov,
Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages,

http://www.geocities.com/volodyatikhonov/volodyatikhonov.html
Electronic classrooms: East Asian/Korean Society and Politics:
                        http://folk.uio.no/vladimit/eastasianstudies.htm
                        http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2002/main.html
                        East Asian/Korean Religion and Philosophy:

http://www.geocities.com/uioeastasia2003/classroom.html