[KS] Question on K.H. Lindholm (collector)

Jim Hoare jim at jhoare10.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 12:40:23 EDT 2008

Lindholm features in two letters in the Fairbank, Bruner and Matheson
edition of Sit Robert Hart’s letters, ‘The I.G. in Peking’. In vo. 1, letter
651 and note, he is described as ‘the Dane, Lindholm’, whom Hart had just
appointed to the Imperial Maritime Customs. The letter was dated 3 June, and
the editorial footnote says that K.H. von Lindholm was appointed 4th
assistant at Amoy. In vol.  2, letter 1069 of 27 June 1897, Hart writes in a
postscript that ‘So far there has been nothing remarkable in Mr Lindholm’s
career. Health has been somewhat against him, but service in Corea (sic) has
won for him promotion – though leaving behind two or three rather
distinguished men who joined about the same time – has put him ahead of
eight or ten men who have been employed longer.’ However, the fall in the
value of silver had depressed salaries, and Hart notes that Lindholm’s
friends need not fear that he has not given satisfaction and hopes that he
will succeed, ‘for he has many admirable qualities’. The editorial footnote
notes that Lindholm had only progressed one level since his appointment, but
adds that ‘..after this slow start, however, Lindholm went on to a long
career in the service ending in the 1920s. Lindholm’s ‘friends’ referred to
by Hart may have been important, since the letter says that it can be shown
to Miss Knollys, and the only Miss Knollys referred to was secretary to the
Princess of Wales – and the Princess of Wales was a Danish princess.

Hope this is of some use, if only to begin a wider search!

Jim Hoare

  _____