[KS] graduate students with Korea studies focus in an 'uncommon' discipline?

Jun Hong junh74 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 27 01:05:30 EDT 2008

Dear everyone,

I have read (and was enlightened by) several people's comments concerning Korea studies. I received my M.A. in Korea Studies at the Univ. of Washington (I worked with primarily with Professors James Palais and Clark Sorensen.). Although it seems that many people who wish to dedicate their lives to studying Korea typically go into a discipline, such as Anthropology, History, Literature, Linguistics, etc. etc. Given my interest in contemporary social problems in South Korea, I embarked on a 'non-traditional' discipline. I am a Ph.D. student in Social Work (with emphasis on Educational Psychology), and my dissertation topic is comparing the outcome of bullying and peer victimization intervention in South Korean and American schools (I am currently in South Korea as a fellow.).

I was wondering if any of you have worked with students in 'non-traditional' discipline whose research focus is on South Korea (or both Koreas).
Sincerely, Jun S. Hong (Mr.)