[KS] (#2) Korean Modernism & Postmodernism (Call for Papers)

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Jul 15 19:20:21 EDT 2008

Hello All:

Last December I posted a Call for Papers for a planned book on Korean
Modernism.  I like to re-post this here and remind those interested
in the book project that the deadline is August 15, 2008. I also
would like to clarify -- although the project is based in Hamburg --
that the participation of graduate students and scholars from other
countries and regions is most welcome! This will be a bilingual
publication in English and German.

After the last posting there were some inquiries to further explain
the note about "country study approaches and national identity
wrap-ups." I intentionally left that open for interpretation, as it
is not intended to ask for any specific methodological approach. But
it is an attempt to block certain established area studies routines
in interpreting culture, methods that seem little convincing when we
discuss contemporary art. For further clarification please refer to
the "Anti-Area Studies" article
(<http://ccr.uws.edu.au/archive/communalplural/volume8/Number_1/8(1)-suzuki.pdf>PDF)
by Japanese Australian historian T. Morris-Suzuki that once started
the much-needed debate.

Best regards,
Frank Hoffmann

   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

The Project:
The majority of students in the "Korean Modernism" class will revise
their term papers for publication in a planned book on Modernism and
Postmodernism in Korea. The project is also open for additional
submissions from other students at Hamburg University and our new
HafenCity University. In addition, students outside Hamburg
interested in this planned publication are invited to submit papers.
This project is not officially endorsed or financed by Hamburg
University.

Topics:
Papers on Modernism and Postmodernism in Korea are welcome. Other
than art, the submission of texts in the field of architecture and
city planning (keyword 'corporate culture') is also encouraged,
provided they are not of a technical nature.

Underlying Concept:
Authors should share the planned publication's underlying visual
culture approach. Country study approaches, national identity
wrap-ups to explain artwork, and summarizing histories will be
discouraged. Please email editor for any questions you might have.

Publication Languages:
English and German

Manuscript Submission Deadline:
August 15, 2008

Editor:
Frank Hoffmann

Publisher:
[ still open ]

Website:
http://koreaproject.info/buch.html

Contact:
Frank Hoffmann,  info AT koreaproject.info

Please do not send in any manuscripts without prior email
communication about the topic and various other issues.