[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Anne Hilton ahilton at u.washington.edu
Fri Jul 18 11:36:22 EDT 2008

Dear Scott,

Should Hana Kim, then, be barred from protesting a decision made by the US
Library of Congress simply by being Korean? For that matter, do you mean to
argue that all Korean Studies librarians in North America of Korean descent
are interfering with official US government policy because of their ancestry
(or citizenship)?

Following your logic, were a group of expatriates in the ROK to decide to
protest the ROK government's decision to change visa regulations for English
teachers, for example, they would also be "interfering" with ROK government
policy.

Regardless of your opinion on the US Library of Congress's decision - or
anyone else's opinion, for that matter - your labeling of Hana Kim's email
as "nationalistic spam" is much more inappropriate than any purported
hypocrisy within the content of that email.

Anne Hilton