[KS] Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Henny Savenije webmaster at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Fri Jul 18 17:34:35 EDT 2008

Before we make any assertions about what is proper or not, wouldn't
it be wise to see what the US government (or any other country) does
in case of other disputed islands or lands with other countries?

At 04:10 AM 7/19/2008, you wrote:
>I too was a little surprised to see what seems to me to be Korean
>nationalism masquerading as scholarship, although I suppose it goes with
>international campaigns to have a particular view represented on maps, in
>encyclopediae and so on. I have no doubt that those expressing indignation
>about the apparent moves by the Library of Congress are sincere but I do
>have doubts about using this particular list to express these views.
>Liancourt Rocks is indeed a neutral term, if a little quaint, in the
>Korean-Japanese dispute over these rocks, and that is its appeal. No case is
>argued, it is merely asserted.
>
>As far as I know, no countries apart from Japan, the ROK and the DPRK take a
>position on the ownership of this territory, which is why a neutral term is
>appropriate.
>
>I can see that if the Library of Congress really was going to drop all
>reference to the Korean claim, some Koreans might be upset. But given that
>there is a dispute, avoiding any views on which country should have
>sovereignty would seem to make sense.
>
>Jim Hoare

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
http://www.henny-savenije.pe.kr Portal to all my sites
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Feel free
to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/indexk2.htm In Korean
http://www.hendrick-hamel.henny-savenije.pe.kr/Dutch In Dutch
http://www.vos.henny-savenije.pe.kr Frits Vos Article about Witsen
and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch dictionary
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English) Korea
through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.hwasong.henny-savenije.pe.kr Hwasong the fortress in Suwon
http://www.oldKorea.henny-savenije.pe.kr Old Korea in pictures