[KS] Fwd: Re: Library of Congress Korean Controversy

Ross King jrpking at interchange.ubc.ca
Fri Jul 25 15:50:27 EDT 2008

Hi everybody:

> There's also a possible linguistic basis for some discussion on this challenging
> and interesting question.
>
> Takeshima is the Japanese reading of the Korean name for the islands which is in
> turn the two Chinese characters meaning Lone Island.

In fact, the etymology of the first syllable of Tokto is supposed to be Korean dialect for 'rock': Middle Korean :twolh, but some dialects have a final -k corresponding to the Middle Korean -h. So the Sino-Korean TOK is just a fancy way of writing Korean dialect /tok/ = standard /tol/ < earlier :twolh (< earlier *twolok or the like?). It's just 'rock island'. But I don't think this helps us much with determining ownership ...

Cheers,

Ross

--
Ross King
Professor of Korean and Head,

and

Dean, Korean Language Village,
Concordia Language Villages

Mailing address:
Ross King, Department of Asian Studies, UBC
Asian Centre, 1871 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z2
CANADA

vox: 604-822-9240