[KS] Access to KINDS database

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Jul 29 11:43:22 EDT 2008

Hello Ayami, and List Subscribers:

First, let me use the opportunity to thank everybody for the postings
to the (somewhat) related post on the "Korean online article database
?" thread. Still having some problems with credit card payments, but
all the infos were extremely helpful, especially for getting access
to Korean theses. Thank you!

Yes, Korea is a Mac hostile environment. In below case there is no
solution. KINDS has most recently installed the security software you
mention, a product of the Korean company Fasoo.com called "XDRM-W" --
yet another peninsular-nistic solution. Unfortunately, local is not
always global, and the slogans of the 90s never worked for the
Internet anyway. There is *no* Mac version for this module
(http://www.fasoo.com/Eng/product/xdrmw.asp). I should add that there
are also no Mac solutions for e.g. the KERIS database downloads
discussed in the before mentioned thread ... this only works in about
10% of cases, depending on the institutional e-library that KERIS
connects to. In fact, KERIS and many other sites use IE technology,
thereby opening any PC that installs such auto-installed modules (for
IE) wide to all sort of hackers. For sites like KERIS you won't be
able to use Firefox, which is far more secure, exactly because is
does not use the same module technology. In any case, there are many
more KOREAN e-resource websites that you will have problems accessing
on a Mac.

The only solution I can suggest is to install Windows 2000 or XP or
Vista on your Mac. If you have the latest OS -- that is Mac OS X
10.5.x (Leopard) -- you can install it using the tool "Boot Camp" (in
Applications -> Utilities -> Boot Camp Assistant). But you will need
to have a DVD or CD with a registered version of one of the above
Windows versions. For Vista your Mac should have 4 GB of RAM, for the
others it would also work with 2 GB or less. XP works just fine for
all Korean sites.) With such install you could reboot your Mac under
Windows.
Another solution, more efficient, I think, if you only use Windows
for such Korea related purposes -- because you will not need to
reboot to start Windows, and very nice if you want to push documents
from one desktop to another, e.g. from Windows to Mac, is to use a
3rd party program called "Parallels Desktop for the Mac"
(http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/). It works fine for
me, you can even install several different Windows versions. In case
you have an older, non-Intel Mac, with Mac OS X 10.4, then use
"VirtualPC for Mac" -- now discontinued, but still downloadable, for
free, I believe
(http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/1006) ... works
just as fine on older Macs as Parallels does on Intel Macs.

Best,
Frank