[KS] Name used for "god" in Korean language

Donald Baker dbaker at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 30 10:28:21 EDT 2008

A few comments on the responses to the question about the Korean name
for "God" in Korean.

First of all, I was glad to see Brother Anthony's post that mentions
that there are Buddhas who appear very close to being the type of God
seen in theistic religions.  In discussing Buddhism, we have to be
careful to distinguish between the philosophy of most meditating monks
(which tends to downplay theistic elements in Buddhism) versus the
practices and beliefs of most lay Buddhists. (For more on this
distinction, see my recent Korean Spirituality.)  I would argue that
most lay Buddhists treat the various Buddhas (and even some of the
Boddhisattvas) as Gods.  When you affix yeorae to a Buddha's name,
such as Yaksayeorae, it seems to me that you are talking about a God.
Sakyamuni is simply Sakyamuni or Bucheonim, so Sakaymuni as a teacher
is not seen as a God. But when you talk about Vairochana, for example,
you are talking about a God. Yet no pre-modern Korean Buddhist texts
that I know of ever refer to any of those god-like Buddhas as hananim
or haneunim. That suggests to me not that theism was not a part of
Korean Buddhism but that before the arrival of Christianity Koreans
did not think of the term haneunim or the term hananim as meaning "God."

download, "Modern History of Korean Religions. " It provides the
standard argument that Koreans have a long history of worship of
Hananim. However, I find no evidence in any Korean records for such a
religious tradition. More to the point, the first Catholics in Korea
didn't use Hananim or Haneunim in their early vernacular theological
texts, so it would appear that they were not very familiar with that
term. In fact, neither term shows up in the first Korean dictionary, a
dictionary French missionaries compiled in the middle of the 19th
century. If there was a common vernacular word for God, you would
think they would have listed it in their dictionary.

As for Donghak, a look at early Tonghak writings shows that the
preferred term for God was Cheonju or Sangje. When Tonghak poetry
required three syllables, and they wanted to use a vernacular term
rather than a Sino-Korean term, they used "Hannulim." If Hananim or
Haneunim  were common terms for God, why didn't they use one of those
terms instead of coining Hannulim (which was not that common in
Tonghak writings until the 20th century)?

I might add that my dictionaries of Joseon-era language (based on 19th
century Korean) clearly distinguish between Hana (one) from Haneul
(for Heaven). I am out of town right now, and don't have my
dictionaries in front of me, but, if my memory serves me right, hana
was spelling with the arae-a in the first syllable and haneul was
spelled with the arae-a in the second syllable. Moreover, the early
Protestant missionary discussions on the proper term for God show that
they distinguished between Haneunim as a vernacular translation of
Lord of Heaven and Hananim, which most of them took to mean the One
God and therefore different from Haneunim. In fact, this is why more
conservative Protestants prefer Hananim to Haneunim. They consider
Haneunim to be a reference to a god of Korea's traditional animistic
worship of nature. Hananim, on the other hand, they believed to be a
traditional term for the Supreme Being, who transcended nature.

As for shamans using haneunim in their rituals, I suspect that is a
modern innovation. (I've seen a recent shaman "bible" that includes
references to Hananim.) If Joseon dynasty officials had learned that
shamans were worshipping heaven, they would have been even more
antagonistic toward shamanism than they already were. As for as I
know, the charge that they worshipped hananin or haneunim was never
made, though they were criticized for many other reasons, including
the criticism that they engaged with ritual interaction with the
spirits of deceased officials they were too low in the social order to
interact with. Also, shamans usually have paintings of their gods. Has
anyone ever seen a shaman painting of hananim? I've seen paintings of
the Jade Emperor but not of Hananim or Haneuni.

Even though there are a few rare cases of pre-modern use of the term
"haneunim" (as in Pak Il-lo's poem mentioned by Gari), they are
usually synonyms for the Chinese Confucian term for Heaven and don't
carry the usual theistic connotations we associate with the term "God."

In short, I remain convinced that the tradition of an indigenous
Korean monotheism, of worship of a Supreme God called Hananim or
Haneunim,  is an invented tradition. Moreover, as a proud Canadian, I
am convinced that the Canadian missionary James Gale played a major
role in creating that tradition.

Donald Baker
Department of Asian Studies
University of British Columbia