[KS] Names for God

Clark W Sorensen sangok at u.washington.edu
Wed Jul 30 12:49:03 EDT 2008

I would just like to add some philological context to Don's discussion of the term yo^rae. I agree with Don that for lay Buddhists, the worship of "So^kkamoni Yo^rae isn't much different from worshipping a theistic deity. However the term yo^rae itself is the Chinese translation (pronounced rulai) of the Sanskrit term tathaagata, a term that means "he who has thus come" (which is more or less what the Chinese characters mean ("as come")). In Buddhist texts it is an honorific term for the Buddha, much as Lord can be an honorific term for Jesus, and it does not imply a theistic interpretation. A similar point could be made for the term "sejon" which is also used by lay Buddhists as if referring to a theistic deity. This term "honored by the world" is also an epithet for the Buddha in scriptures that in the scriptures themselves does not imply a theistic being. However, it is also true that some
forms of medieval Buddhism were highly influenced by Hinduism and made use of much of the Hindu theistic pantheon. The name of the Korean folk deity "cheso^k", for example, is actually derived from an honorific term for Indra.

Clark Sorensen