[KS] Name used for "god" in Korean language

gkl1 at columbia.edu gkl1 at columbia.edu
Wed Jul 30 21:02:29 EDT 2008

      I'm wondering what Erich Weingartner thinks of the discussion
that has resulted from his query, "What is the word in Korean for
"God"? I notice in
going back to his original message that he used the capitalized form
"God" without any definite or indefinite article, whereas the spelling
in his subject line was the uncapitalized "god".
      My own supposition is that in saying simply "God", he had in
mind a transcendent, monotheistic deity as in the three Abramic
religions Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. If that is so, then we
properly have to do with Korean and in some cases broader East Asian
concepts specifically adapted to or created for one or more of these
religions. Given the general history of modern East Asian religion,
this will mean mainly Christianity.
      If we are dealing with the word(s) for "god", with an
uncapitalized initial, then we would seem to be moving into a more
complex and mainly polytheistic religious scene of which few could be
master of all the necessary details.
      I believe that so far, all five of his questions have been
addressed to one degree or another. But in dealing with the Buddhist
scene, the discussion gets more complicated and subtle, and that's
where we are now.

      It would be good if someone who specializes in Buddhism could
join the discussion, because the issues are fascinating, going far
beyond mere distinctions between "God" and "god(s)" and to what degree
such distinctions are theological or simply matters of popular
perception.

Gari Ledyard

Quoting erichwein at hotmail.com:

----- End forwarded message -----