[KS] candlelight demonstrations in Korea and the beef deal issue

Alice S. Kim kim.alice.s at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 09:07:00 EDT 2008

Dear David,

As much as you and Scott may not appreciate a 'left-leaning'
perspective on the SK candlelight vigils against the reduced
restriction US beef import agreement, I also felt uncomfortable
reading your response, and the direction in which it clearly leans:

, David Scofield wrote:
> I second Scott's observations.
>
> It would also be helpful if the article touched on the other side of
> the trade
> issue: South Korea is asking, for example, that the US declare Korea
> free of
> foot and mouth disease and to allow the import of Korean beef into
> the US. They
> are also seeking agreement on the relaxation of restrictions on the
> import to
> the US of canned ginseng chicken. And of course the larger issue of
> a free
> trade agreement with the US and Korea's inclusion on the visa waiver
> list.
> These street demonstrations - like so many in the past - are a way
> for the
> South Korean government to leverage the US in negotiations.

There are two reasons why I don't think these trade demands by the
South Korean government needed to have been included in the article
for it to appear non-biased.  First, the article was intended to
address why South Korean citizens have been hitting the streets,
protesting for over a month now (and having grown exponentially in
recent weeks) over the US beef import agreement (which quickly spread
to other controversial neoliberal reforms introduced by Lee Myung Bak,
like the canal project, his education policies - which the high school
students abhor as much as the reduced restriction beef agreement - and
plans to privatize healthcare and water, among others) and not an
article based on the KorUS FTA agreement (which is related to the beef
imports since it is a  conditionality imposed by US lawmakers for
potential ratification of the  KorUS FTA, but not part of the official
FTA agreement or the principle issue behind these protests).
Moreover, If you are alluding to the fact that potential Korean beef
and canned ginseng chicken imports may be a health risk for Americans
if imported then that is a grievance that should be addressed to and
blamed upon the US govt. and its negotiators and lawmakers if the FTA
is eventually ratified, and perhaps mobilized amongst American
citizens to oppose it (like the South Koreans protestors are doing
with the beef), not blamed upon the South Korean protestors to the
beef agreement or even the S. Korean government as their hypocrisy.
The KCTU in SK and the AFL-CIO and the UAW in the US jointly oppose
this FTA deal -- and the reason for these protests appear to be the
South Korean government's generous compliance with the US demands so
far (including reducing safety restrictions on the beef imports -
which the protesters want renegotiated).

Second, you appear to be making a dangerous conflation between the
South Korean citizens who are participating in these demonstrations
AGAINST the South Korean government  AND the South Korean government.
The people and the state are not the same thing, nor do their
interests always overlap.  To even imply that the significance of
these demonstrations is merely a leveraging tool by the LMB government
as a measure to get a more advantageous trade deal vis-a-vis the US is
ludicrous, offensive, and patronizing to the hundreds of thousands of
people attending rallies chanting "Lee MyungBak Resign!"  There is a
difference between how the government attempts to use the protests in
negotiations with the US and the actual antagonistic relation between
the SK government and the protesters. Your conflation of the state and
people and your implication that these Koreans are just sheep being
steered by their leaders, are at best, sloppy, and at worst
Orientalist:  the premise of your argument being - Koreans can't
actively participate in a democracy because they have a follow-the-
leader mentality.  Some may consider these massive protests a sign of
a healthy democracy. How else are people supposed to register their
complaints and make their voices heard? What does a politically
engaged citizenry look like for you?

(BTW, LMB's approval rating having fallen to 20% from over 60% when he
was first elected has been reported in papers of all stripes.)

> I sense the author is new to Korea and may not be aware that that
> 'spontaneous'
> outpourings of emotion by Korea's netizens are anything but
> spontaneous.
> Rather, as in the past (the 'poisoning' of the Han; the accidental
> death of the
> two middle school students; Onno; the Liancourt rocks - Dokdo -
> fiasco...),
> these demonstrations are the result of careful and deliberate agit
> prop by
> certain groups (PSPD, Green Korea, Korea teacher's union) and
> sympathetic media
> in S. Korea.

It also does not necessarily follow that considering South Korean
netizens' outpouring of emotion as 'spontaneous' has to do with the
fact that the author must be "new to Korea." This may not be the first
time that demonstrations have been initiated among netizens, but that
does not invalidate the fact that they did spontaneously begin and
have been sustained (and grown) among average citizens on the internet
and not by social movements.  One of the most interesting and amusing
aspects of the continuing mobilization of these protests is the
'agora' phenomenon. Agora went from being a message board on the Daum
internet portal site to acquiring its own Flag/Banner during the past
month of demonstrations!  I've been puzzled by the numerous 'agora'
flag/banners flying at the protests.....but then there are banners for
'anti-lee myung bak' as well as other ad hoc 'groups'. These flags/
banners are quite different from the Democratic Labor Party or the
KCTU (the korean confederation of trade unions) flags or other
'organized' social movements who have always had a flag/banner.  I
even heard a first hand account of how the police have been asking
those arrested at the protests if they were members of  'Agora' -
confusing this internet message board for an organization.  It's
interesting to see internet mediums like blogs and message boards
taking on organizing/mobilization functions for the 'unorganized' as
the people move from the screen to the streets. While attending these,
it's hard not to notice that many of the the flags look quite
different from what you would see at organized protests like the anti-
KorUS FTA protests that took over the streets all last year (in much
smaller numbers than these).
You appear to be echoing the unsupported "who's pulling their strings"
theory drummed up by  ChoJoongDong.  The People's Countermeasure
Council Against the Full Resumption of US Beef Imports - a coalition
of various (and not just left-leaning) social movement groups, Ngos,
unions, community groups, etc. was formed weeks after these protests
commenced.  They are the rearguard in these protests (pragmatically
and literally).

> The author would do well to bear in mind that the Korean state has
> more than
> enough riot police and soldiers to put down any demonstration they
> deem not to
> be in the government's interest...these street demos happen because
> the
> political establishment is not at all threatened by them (as long as
> people
> perceive the enemy to be beyond Korea's shores), and see them as
> providing
> useful leverage against the Americans, while reinforcing the notion
> in the
> minds of many young Koreans that threats to Korea always originate
> from outside
> Korea - it's a useful distraction that has been used by Korean
> politicians
> since the Korean war, perhaps before.

Considering modern South Korean history and the many protests "deemed
not to be in the government's interest"  that were violently 'put
down'  with not a few deaths and casualties (alongside martial law) by
the military dictatorships, the reason why the deployment of tear gas
and other forms of military violence are not a matter of light
consideration for the current government and its "more than enough
riot police and soldiers" is understandable.  Also, 60 shipping
containers weighted with sand and welded together in the middle of
Sejong-ro to barricade the road to Cheongwadae, as well as impending
resignations of LMB's newly appointed cabinet members DOES signal some
amount of perceived threat on behalf of the SK government.  And
lastly, in addition to the monikers '2megabytes' and 'rat' (쥐새끼)
that Lee Myung Bak has been given by the protesters is 'Public
Enemy' (공공의 적 ). I believe it is fairly apparent that in
these demonstrations the people perceive the enemy ("Public Enemy
number 1") to be much closer to home (via a sentiment - of betrayal -
shared amongst even those who probably voted him in earlier this year
but are on the streets today), even if the pressures may originate
from further away.

The most popular song at these protests is "South Korean Constitution
Article 1" (대한민국의 헌법제1조), which begins:  "South Korea
is a democratic republic...".

The second most common is the newly coined song/jingle "Leave office/
resign Lee  Myung Bak" - 이명박은 물러나라/물러가라
(repeated to the melody of "우리들은정의파다").

Alice S. Kim
PhD Candidate
Department of Rhetoric
7408 Dwinelle Hall, #2670
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
kimas at berkeley.edu
kim.alice.s at gmail.com

policebus6.10.JPG

the poster reads: Public Enemy (middle);
top left in red: All country Mouse/Rat catching day; (nickname for LMB)
bottom in white: Opposition to Privatization of water, education,
health insurance, public service