[KS] p'urakch'i

lev kontsevich lr.kontsevich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 15:49:44 EDT 2008

Dear Adam,  "p'urakchi" was an old Korean transliteration of Russian
world 'fraktsiya' (from Latin word "fractio") that used in communist
political literature in the Soviet period. Its spelling in
contemporary Korean is different in North Korea  (p'euraktchiya, see
"Ro-Cho sajeon [Russian-Korean Dictionary], Pyongyang, 1986. P. 2089)
and South Korea (p'eurakchi, see "Sang'yong woeraeyeo sajeon
[Dictionary of  Everyday Loan-words]. Seoul, 2002. P. 294).  The world
'fraktsiya'   has two meanings in Russian: 1. organized group of some
members  of  a  party in the parliament or institution, for example,
Social-democratic fraction in Gosudarstvennaya Duma (Russian
parliament in 1917-18), parliamentary fraction of the Workers' party;
2. isolated groupe within the party (See "Explanatery Dictionary ofr
Russian Language" by d. Ushakov. Vol.4. Moscow, 1940. Column 1113;
"The Soviet Encyclopedic  Dictionary". Moscow, 1990. P 1445). I don't
know the other meanings of this word. I think that this loan-word in
Korea after liberation could use in afore-mensioned semantic field.
With regards Lev Kontsevich, Leading researcher, Institute of Oriental
Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences