[KS] Choson Dynasty Sexuality

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Mon Mar 3 08:27:53 EST 2008

I was *only* referring to the kind of
pornographic images Scott described in the other
posting, not in any way to work by the same
artists referred to in the "hot cats & erotic
tree brunches" posting (hope you enjoy the tree
brunches though -- they look like tree brunches
to me). These kind of extremely explicit images
by Sin Yun-bok and Kim Hong-do are, as stated,
are copies of Manchu-Chinese works, with minor
changes (as already pointed out). Your
description ...

>Korean ch'unhwa are more naturalistic, understated and
>focused either on describing local customs

... sounds good, but these are still just copies,
and a copy is a copy is a copy. Besides, showing
how some girl gives an old man a bl*w j*b, in
detail (your own description) -- that maybe
"naturalistic" (although the term naturalistic is
defined differently in art) but I would certainly
would have a problem calling it "understated" ...
and not really local either, as it seems to be
done elsewhere too, someone suggested. If you
have Photoshop on you computer, you can take
scans of the Manchu originals, replace the hair
style, hats, and few, just a few, other details,
then you get your Sin Yun-bok or Kim Hong-do
versions. Localization! Yes? As you know,
traditionally, painters worked with painting
manuals. That is one of the important keywords
here. Looking at e.g. Korean or Chinese landscape
paintings and then looking at painting manuals
(one of the famous ones throughout East Asia is
e.g. _The Mustard Seed Garden_, English transl.
published under this title by Princeton UP,
1956), you will discover that what painters did
throughout the ages is basically just another
version of "painting by numbers." They did not
order their manuals from Amazon.com and did not
pay by Visa or Mastercard, but otherwise --
what's new under the sun? There are ways to paint
waterfalls, huts, trees, stones, humans, etc.,
and in very many cases you will see that, even in
works by well known painters, the angle and exact
point of view are the same as in the painting
manuals -- making paintings often look like a
cut-and-paste work *if* comparing the painting to
the painting manuals. _Art in the Age of
Mechanical Reproduction_ ... not quite
mechanical, maybe (although in other areas that
too), but this sure was nothing new in 1936. The
reproduction, the copying, was a very integral
part, well, a very essential part of the process
of creation of art work. But in the modern period
we got used to evaluate art by modern means, and
that means, before anything, originality -- and
we applied that same concept to East Asian art
work, also art work from earlier periods. I am
not saying that the "originality" concept is some
sort of reversal of the traditional East Asian
concept (please do not misunderstand my statement
here, this should not be simplified, it is
complicated), but it still is an entirely
different concept. Coming back to Sin Yun-bok's
or Kim Hong-do's copies of Manchu porn albums,
and even those of Ch'oe U-sôk (who can't be
compared with those great 18th century painters):
I would warn to put all this into the same pot
and mix it and then make a statement or
description about the quality, style, etc. of the
work. I would rather suggest to accept the fact
(well, if indeed these works are authentic -- are
they really?) that copying art work of other
artists and from other periods (mostly from
China, of course) was part of daily bread for
Chosôn period painters, both for literati
painters and professional court painters. We
therefore do not need to either start to despise
the two greatest Chosôn painters because they
seemed to have (re)produced low quality erotic
images, nor do we need to artificially try to
describe those images as great art works
"describing local customs" etc. etc. The kind of
ambivalence we have to deal with here is mostly
created by our modern concept of art, artist, and
originality. Then again, as Scott already pointed
out, the creation of such kind of images seems to
have brought Sin Yun-bok into serious trouble at
the time. We may also note that we talk about
professional artists, not literati artists, and
that most likely there was a commercial factor to
the production of these works.

Best,
Frank