[KS] Choson Dynasty Sexuality

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at koreaweb.ws
Tue Mar 4 09:48:39 EST 2008

Scott, it seems to me you are mixing issues and
topics here. High and Low art --  sure, but the
thing is that these are copies of Manchu art work.

QUOTE:

>>(for example, a
>>young girl secretly watching another couple engaged in
>>coitus), yet are executed tastefully and not at all
>"pornographically" in my opinion.

This is yet another example of a copy. When I use
the term copy, then this has really nothing to do
with any *evaluation* of the subject matter of a
painting! It's just that this image is also,
pretty exactly (!), copied from a Manchu album.
You may want to consider dropping all those notes
on KOREAN culture and style etc. and talk about
Manchu art then ... and maybe on the limited
"Korean" RECEPTION of these images.

About all the terminology, about "pornographic"
-- I was referring to Japanese art of the same
period because we very often see a political
sub-text there, and all kind of literati and
other "quotes." That is not so with those very
explicit copies of Manchu art you are mentioning.
This again is likely so exactly because they are
not based on Han Chinese traditions and culture,
but are coming from a culture where all
bureaucrats hat to be "hired" from the Han for
lack of education. So, yes, in a way this does
relate to high and low culture, sure. I just
think one may not want to mix up works in the
tradition of Chinese and Korean painting with
copies done by the same artists from an entirely
different culture.

Not that I have all the answers; we know
relatively little about the development of the
Korean art market and collecting art, especially
if compared to what we know about Japan. But I
would speculate that commercial interests might
have been the main cause for the existence of
such images. You may also think about the fact
that such great painters like Kim Hong-do and Sin
Yun-bok did not (!) continue to develop such
"explicit" (pornographic) styles in their work.
There are those copies, and that's that. There
are no further developments in this direction, no
documented interest. What we have are those much
more sophisticated, non-explicit works ... also
showing desire, also producing an erotic setting,
etc., but not showing genitals. Furthermore,
think of the fact that in neighboring Japan, with
Buddhism as the leading religion, an entirely
different environment developed, one that was
very open towards anything sexual and towards
creativity. Not so in Korea, at least not anymore
in the mid- and late Chosôn period -- of course.
Earlier, during Koryô times, we see wonderful
images that make one think if getting a sex
change might be an option -); as all those males
-- maitreyas and buddhas -- are just outrageously
elegant, fashionably, handsome, and sexy ... not
too different from, say, all those sexualized
Christian paintings of the Renaissance (mostly by
homosexual or bisexual artists) like Leonardo,
Michelangelo, and Caravaggio. Italy was very open
in this respect, so was the Koryô period, and so
was and is Japan. We do not anymore see any of
this in the Chosôn period, we also do not see it
anymore in Lutheren parts of Europe. Without such
environment, it was not really possible to
develop much sophistication in the arts (or
literature) in this area. So you end up with some
peasant jokes on sex, and of course a very
straight symbolism in Korean "shamanist"
practices (visit Wôn'gwang University Museum for
a stunning collection), and some copies of (not
at all very sophisticated) Manchu art, etc., but
nothing was really developing in that part of
culture ("high culture," yes) that was under the
neo-Confucian umbrella.

Regards,
Frank